Borders girl living life in the capital

Weekend Up North

Last weekend Tim and I went up North for a couple of nights. We had discussed ages ago about going away for a weekend and had looked briefly at flights to some cities in Europe before deciding to stay in Scotland! I have actually not travelled much in Scotland at all so I was happy to use the time to see some parts of my own country. We stayed in a small town called Craigellachie, about an hour North of Aviemore and used the few days to explore nearby. 

We drove an alternative route on the way there which took us right up the side of Loch Lomond and Loch Tay which was lovely. It turned into a really sunny day during our drive so it was amazingly scenic. We stopped off a few times on the way for a little walk where we thought there were good photo opportunities. The village of Kenmore by Loch Tay was beautiful in the early evening sun (where the second photo here was taken).

On our only full day up there we walked five miles to Dufftown, the next town along The Speyside Way from where we were staying. Here we visited the Glenfiddich whisky distillery which I found really interesting, since distilleries are in Tim's line of work, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be a whisky drinker anytime soon! Later that day we visited the Craigellachie bridge where Tim tried to teach me both; how to properly skim stones and also a bit more about photography. I'm trying to learn a bit more whilst I save up for my own camera so our weekend away was a great opportunity for me to try out his DSLR. That night we had a lovely meal at at The Copper Dog, the restaurant in The Craigellachie Hotel which I'd highly recommend if you ever find yourself in that neck of the woods. The next day before we had to drive home, we headed further up North to the coast at Lossiemouth. It had been recommended that the beach was worth visiting and it didn't disappoint; a lovely long part of coastline full of sand dunes and an amazing ice cream shop!

It was really lovely to visit some parts of Scotland that I'd never seen before, and great to spend a weekend away from the city, since I am a country girl at heart! 

"There is no wifi in the forest, but I promise you will find a better connection."

No comments

Post a Comment

© Country Girl - City Life

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig