Borders girl living life in the capital

The Pitt Market


The Pitt street food market had been appearing all over my social media for weeks before I finally got the chance to go along. With it being held on Saturdays and me working most of them, as soon as I saw that I had one off my plans for the day were made! Tim had been with some friends previously and had been pretty impressed, saying that we should go if I was free, so along we headed a couple of weeks ago.

The market is based in an empty yard space on Pitt Street in Leith (just off the end of Ferry Road) and has been running for the last five Saturdays (previous to that, only monthly). Walking along the fairly tucked away street it wasn't really in the type of area that I had been expecting at all, but this empty space has been put to such great use on these summer Saturdays. I quite like the fact that it isn't held in a busy city centre location where it would end up packed with tourists and passers by. It felt like everyone had made an effort to gather there which, I think, helped to make it such a friendly and relaxed atmosphere. We arrived at about 5pm (the market runs from 12pm until 10pm) and it was buzzing with people of all ages enjoying the amazing variety of food and drink vendors as well as the live music, and luckily whilst we were there, the sunshine! 

So what did we eat?

Tim had a buttermilk fried chicken burger with black garlic mayo and pickles from The Buffalo Truck. It was amazing (from the little bit that I tasted!) and if I can make it back in the next couple of weeks and The Buffalo Truck is there again then I know what I'm having! I opted for the smoked bean chilli from The Spice Girl having previously seen it on my sister's Instagram! I'm not massively into spicy food but this chilli had just the right kick for my tastes and was served with rice and sour cream...equally as delicious as Tim's burger (and a little bit more Instagramable!!)! We washed our food down with some craft beers, unfortunately I have no idea what they were or who sold them!? But they were good whoever you are! Having not had too much to eat that day neither of us were completely filled by our food, and obviously there wasn't a shortage of choices for something else to eat. Next we shared some of the gyoza/dumplings from The Harajuku Kitchen, which were a new food experience for me.  

The Pitt is running for seven Saturdays throughout the summer and there are only two left, so get yourself along! It may seem slightly out of town but it's only really a half an hour walk from the top of Leith Walk and it's most definitely worth it...plenty of amazing food once you've worked up your appetite! It has a great vibe with live music throughout the day and drinks flowing. Children are welcome until 8pm and dogs are welcome too! I'm really hoping that I can get along again to the last one of the summer season on the 30th and try some more of the great food and drinks this amazing city has to offer! 

3 comments

  1. If you're looking for a chum to the next one let me know when it is! Looks fab x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice market!!! i wanna go The Pitt street food market.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really nice and informative blog, keep it up buddy…

    ReplyDelete

© Country Girl - City Life

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services - Click here for information.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig